bantam cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emjay, Dec 12, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I will try to get a picture tomorrow, but, I have one bantam cochin chick who is about 12 weeks (give or take) It has a bigger comb then its mom right now, but, it only just started to seem to be bigger and now red. I was convinced it was a she as it took a couple of months before the comb changed size and color. as well, the youngin' has body shape like it's mom, no shine to its feathers like the dad does, haven't noticed any hackle or saddle feathers. I'm wondering, can bantam cochin pullets have varying sizes to their combs? can some pullets have larger combs then normal.?? I hope it's not a roo, as I have one, and people can't even give them away, and I don't have anywhere for him to go if it is a roo.
    I know a picture will help, so shall try tomorrow, it's getting dark here now.

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Hopefully its a pullet! fingers crossed [​IMG]

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Any pullet, not just bantam cochin, can have different sized comes. Of course, different breeds have can different sized combs, but two hens of the same breed can have different sized combs also.
    Quote:Yes. They should not get as large as a rooster of the same breed, but that too is possible.

A few good pics would help, but just from what you stated at 12weeks I would say a boy. Hope it is a pullet.

4. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I didn't get that picture, son has been sick with flu, forgot about it.

it has such a pullet shaped body, no attempt to crow nothing, this baby has me all confused. Hopefully on Sunday I can get a pic.

I work during the day, so is dark when i leave, dark when I get home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by