Bantam Cochins - pullets or roos?

mayberrygirl

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Mount Airy, NC
They are about 8-9 weeks old and I thought they were pullets - but we have crowing and looks like V shaped hackle feathers
hit.gif
one is silver laced and one is dark blue -

50269_100_0568.jpg

50269_100_0567.jpg

50269_100_0566.jpg

I was afraid of that. I have 3 banty cochins, two buff and one black. They are 13 weeks old and the black one has had a reddish comb and wattles for 4+weeks. The buffs do not, they are obviously hens. Oh well, off to my friend's place in the country.

I did some counting on the calender, they are actually 11 weeks old - but have had the red combs for a few weeks. Can't have that we already have 2 roos in another coop... and this is a tractor we are going to put 4 other chickens in - don't need any fighting in there. Boo-hiss, I really wanted Blue Bell and Lacy - not Starsky and Hutch, LOL.

wow, they are big, mine must be stunted. I have one that is 9 weeks old. fits in the palm of my hand still. no feathers on its head, no comb at all. hmmmm. shouldn't it have a comb by this age? of some kind?
not trying to steal the thread, but, glad I saw your pics. Mine is a squirt of a thing.

They are handsome.I would take them if closer.I got some Cochin hen's from TSC.And maybe one roo this round.I hope you will be able to place them if you are in an Non Roo area.That silver laced is super pretty.You may have standard size I agree with emjay they look big for that age but lotta people want standards too.I Have 2 smooth 3 frizzle.I love mine.Cochin's are great bird's.

Well, they came out of the bantam tub at TSC - they are 2 weeks younger then my standards and half the size. The pic is very deceiving as they are only about 8 inches tall.

Back
Top Bottom