Bantam egg laying help

white guinea333

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 14, 2014
I have several Silver phoenix bantam hens and a rooster and two weeks ago they stopped laying for some reason. They are a little over 1 year old and have a light on them that gets turned off late at night and then turned back on in the morning. I have seen a couple of the hens go into the nesting box and sit in there and look like they are laying eggs, but when I check for eggs, nothing. They were laying about two weeks ago, but now they just stopped. Any advice on how I can get them laying again?

Last edited:
I have several Silver phoenix bantam hens and a rooster and so far out the hens I have had no eggs. They are a little over 1 year old and have a light on them that gets turned off late at night and then turned back on in the morning. I have seen a couple of the hens go into the nesting box and sit in there and look like they are laying eggs, but when I check for eggs, nothing. They were laying about two weeks ago, but now they just stopped. Any advice on how I can get them laying again?
The two bolded statements lead me to wonder as they seem to be contradictory. How long have you had these birds? I ask because my first thought is that two weeks ago they were laying and you bought them, moved them home and have since seen a stoppage to production. Is that the case?
Do your birds free-range or are they confined within a coop/run setup?

Sorry, about that I mean't within the past two weeks I wasn't getting anymore eggs out of them. I bought them a month ago or so and they were laying perfectly fine, but they just stopped laying at a point and I am wondering if it is because of the weather or the management.

Could be the change in their feed finally taking effect
.....or lack of light(were they lighted at their old place?)
....or molting.

You say you have a light on late into the night how many hours of 'daylight' are they getting?
Supplemental lighting is best when given early in the morning and allow them to go to roost with the natural sunset.
A timer is necessary to keep the light interval consistent day to day.

Back
Top Bottom