Bantam Egg Size Thread

I have a bantam SLW that surprised me by starting to lay in the midst of a rather cold winter. Days are at their shortest, and I decided against supplemental light, but I guess she felt it was time. She just turned 7 months old. Egg weight has been 40g. For such a small chicken just starting to lay I am very impressed. So far she has laid 5 eggs in 8 days.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! This is a useful thread for people who are trying to decide what breed to get. It would actually be even more useful if people were able to indicate the source of their birds! :) (Since strains can differ by quite a bit.)

Kathleen

Here is a picture of my little SLW's very first egg. It is beside a extra large egg from the grocery store for size comparison.
My two wyandottes and silkie mix are from a breeder about an hours drive from me....don't know his source, and I have a d'uccle from Ideal hatchery. I will post their egg sizes and laying frequency when they start laying.

Here's an egg I got the other day in my "dog house full of straw laying house." It's about the size of a quarter! It's in the middle! Sorry I don't have a better picture, I just found this thread and decided to share

Here's an egg I got the other day in my "dog house full of straw laying house." It's about the size of a quarter! It's in the middle! Sorry I don't have a better picture, I just found this thread and decided to share

Yesterday I got one of those little bitty eggs, too! Think it was from one of my Sicilian Buttercups - they're the one ones laying white eggs. It's about 1" long.

This is the egg next to the eggs the Buttercups already laid the same day. What causes this?

Yesterday I got one of those little bitty eggs, too! Think it was from one of my Sicilian Buttercups - they're the one ones laying white eggs. It's about 1" long.

This is the egg next to the eggs the Buttercups already laid the same day. What causes this?

They are called pullet eggs or fairy eggs. They're pretty normal and are caused by hormonal fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom