Bantam Eggs set on April 11, set to hatch May 1! Anyone else?

SamJacobbe

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Wellington Florida
New Mother On The Way

Recently my young Mille Fleur d'Uccle decided to take after her mother, and set. Her mother has had a good history of good hatches, so I'm hoping she's taken that ability from her mother.

When I checked on day 1, she was setting on 18 eggs! Somehow, she managed to keep all 18 of those small precious eggs warm and covered, turning each on every few hours. So I could only hope for the best of luck and a good hatch.

Candling

I candled them today, on day four, and took some pictures. Eggs four, five, six, eight, ten, thirteen, sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen each showed a small embryo and spider veins. Two of them had what seemed to be blood rings, and when I cracked them open, I found it was true. So that left sixteen eggs still on the nest, minus nine that seemed to be coming along, leaving seven eggs that I was giving until day seven to show some promising signs. I will candle them on day seven, and that will be my sad day, removing any eggs that do not show signs of embryonic development.

I plan for my candling to take place on days seven, eleven, fourteen, and seventeen. Removing bad eggs as I go along and keeping up with embryonic development. I am guessing about thirteen will hatch hopefully.

Chicken Incubation

I've been debating over who to choose to incubate. I can chose from some pure-bred chickens, as we have a few groups, or just some chickens, if I could do some mixes. Our pure-bred couples consist of a Sultan and his hen, a Silkie rooster and his hen (Both black Silkies, she just hatched some chicks but I plan on keeping these for furthering our egg laying capability), a Polish rooster and four hens (Three brown and one silver), and two pairs of Mille Fleur d'Uccle couples. Our other hens and roosters consist of a White Silkie rooster, a Silver-Laced Wyandotte hen, a Easter Egger hen mix(Green eggs), an Eagle head hen (Not sure of her breed yet), and a Ameraucana hen. We also have two female Guinea hens, but have had difficulty obtaining a male.

Anyone want to help me decide who to incubate this time?

Anyone else set eggs today or around this time, I would love to converse and see how your development is coming along compared to mine. Allow us to answer some questions as they appear and get to enjoy in each others hatch.

Last edited:
Candled again!

So I candled the eggs again today and removed three that weren't fertile. So that leaves twelve still under the hen that are all viable and doing well. So hoping all goes well, this is probably day eleven or twelve. Still one week to go and I'm getting edgy.

Back
Top Bottom