Bantam flock questions

Scarob63

Hatching
Oct 13, 2020
New here and to chickens. I will be ordering about 20 bantams this spring (BB red or Wheaton) and I am concerned about rooster to hen ratio as I can only order straight runs.. I'm not concerned about eggs, but am concerned for the hens as I could potentially get 60٪ roosters. What does one do in this situation. Thx

Your could set up a bachelor pad for your roosters, which works really well if the roos have been together since they were young. You can also try rehoming as many roos as you can.

Are you planning on getting Old English game bantams? If yes, you could also order the crele variety, which is autosexing. They are still sold straight run, but you will be able to tell the girls from boys as soon as you get them (males have a spot on their head). Then you can start rehoming males sooner, or separate boys and girls sooner.

Your could set up a bachelor pad for your roosters, which works really well if the roos have been together since they were young. You can also try rehoming as many roos as you can.

Are you planning on getting Old English game bantams? If yes, you could also order the crele variety, which is autosexing. They are still sold straight run, but you will be able to tell the girls from boys as soon as you get them (males have a spot on their head). Then you can start rehoming males sooner, or separate boys and girls sooner.

How long do I have before the extra roosters become a problem? If I want to end up with 12-18 hens and 2 roosters how should I go about it. I have an 8 x 16 run and 6x8 henhouse. Thx

Back
Top Bottom