Bantam flock with multiple roosters and cockrels

There's usually little worries when the cockerels were raised together, especially if related- provided they have enough room and hens (I don't raise aggressive breeds!) Still you have to be prepared in case everything goes south. My chicks I received in April were sexed (2 cockerels and 13 pullets) They spent the first 4 weeks indoors and the last 8 with my flock of (8) hens in the same run but divided by wire. The cockerels (12 weeks old now ) free range with my flock during the day and are separated from the pullets. My older hens will teach the cockerels manners and to respect the hierarchy of the flock which should make them better roosters.

Last edited:
I know this is bantams, but I am having issues with 6 almost year old cockerels plus the 3 juveniles (cockerels) there are two favorite hens that get way more attention than others. One Goldie separates her self from the group the other I had to put in with the grow outs.

Are bantams different? If so, really hope so. Would like to keep a cochin, oegb and sebright cockerel if its possible. They where all raised together with large fowl. The large fowl cockerels are becoming a problem tho they keep trying to mount anything that moves. They will be moved out soon once the new pen goes up this Wednesday.

I feel like the bantams are easier to manage and that they get along with each other better. Also, my standard rooster is much more tolerant of them. I'm only planning to keep one standard and the rest bantam from here on out. The summer heat is just too hard on my large flock so I'm going to stop hatching standards.
My Phoenix cockerells get along well with them. They do take the heat better.

So far no fighting here. A few scuffles. Goliath is very tolerant of the bantam cockerels. The two bantam roosters are less tolerant of them. None of the hens have shown interest in them. They are terrified of all the hens, bantam and standard. They are trying sneak attacks, but that hasn't netted them any love thus far.

Update:
Run A
Roosters
one standard brahma mix, Goliath 2 1/2 & 27 standard hens
Mr. Biggs bantam frizzle cochin & 3 hens, 2 cockerels & 4 pullets (5 mo+ old), 3 cockerels & 3 pullets (5 mo + old), 1 cockerel & 1 pullet (4 mo.+)

Run B
Mr. Porter oegb & 3 hens
2 pullets (7 mo), 2 cockerels (6+ mo), 1 standard and one broody bantam pullet (6mo+), 1 cockerel 4 mo and 1 pullet 4 mo.

Run A anex
4 mixed bantam cockerels (7 mo) housed seperately.

Everything is going well so far. Occasional mild scuffle between the females of seperate groups. No longterm fighting or injuries.
The little 6mo old gamehen mix in Coop B has gone broody and is under the floor of a coop in Run A. She comes out daily and eats with her own flock.
I am very impressed with Mr. Porter (old english game bantam) and his male offsprings, one is a sebright mix, the other a cochin mix. They work together to keep their hens, pullets, and the younger cockerel (this is Mr. Bigg's offspring so I hope he will fit in with the flock) in a group. They run the other hens out of their area without being aggressive. If I had to raise just one bantam breed, I'd pick OEGB.
Photos of some of Porter's flock
The boy on the right is Ebenezer, he is a cochin mix
20231013_122642.jpg
20231013_122639.jpg
20231013_122901.jpg

The one above is Ivory, she is a oegb and sebright mix
The one below, Dovie, is a oegb cochin mix. She is the one nesting right now.
20230930_085447.jpg

The girl in the background is a sebright and brahma mix, very pretty but shy.
20231013_122740.jpg

This one, Nyx, is a brahma & cochin mix. She is standoffish too.
20231013_122747.jpg
I rehomed the brahma rooster. He wasn't aggressive but wasn't friendly either.
20230831_071119.jpg

Busy (left) and great-grandmother, Lucy (right)
20230824_081729.jpg

Busy is the daughter of Goliath with Claudine.
Claudine is Lucy's daughter with Goliath's father's hatch brother/ from Lucy's 1st hatch (Magpie is around 7 and still alive, lives with a friend of mine)

In my Serama flock I currently have 7 hens, 2 roosters, and some chicks growing out. The 2 roosters get along great, but I had 2 other roosters that I sold and the dominant rooster Tiny Tom would chase them and did not like them.

My hens are in the 5 lb range and my cockerels 7 lbs max( crested creme legbars)
I had some big hens and roosters many years ago but all my chickens are relatively small (leghorns and dominique,etc)
I love crested cream legbars. I had a brahma x ccl mix. He was the sweetest but I gave him away. I often wish I'd kept him. I have a brahma x ccl hen. But she is closer to the brahma size.

Back
Top Bottom