Bantam Hen Broody for the First Time

I have my bantam broody in a nesting box incubating two eggs about three feet above the ground right now. On day 18, I will extend the lip of the nesting box to keep the newly hatched chick from falling out, and once the second chick hatches I will move all three of them to the floor of the broody pen, in a large well-ventilated box with straw. When the chicks are about two weeks old I will move them out of the box and let them hang out in the broody pen, mama bird can provide heat when needed. The broody pen is near the main coop, so they can socialize with the flock with the no-touch but see method. So that's my recommendation, make her a lip on the nesting box on day 18 (broodies are less likely to leave the nest for breaks during lockdown IMO) and once all the babies have hatched, move them to the ground in a well-ventilated box
Thanks! So I should leave her where she is?

Thanks! So I should leave her where she is?
Yes, but I would make her a lip on her nesting box so her chicks don't fall out. Then once they are all hatched, move them to a safer spot. I wouldn't leave them in the nesting box for too long after the chicks hatch because once they dry out they could probably jump over the lip.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom