Bantam in trouble.

roostrong

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
I have a hen who had a prolapsed oviduct and egg which I, on advice, ha to push back, break and remove.

I got it all out and brought the hen inside. We started antibiotics the morning after.

She is not a happy girl- head down, puffed up and a big puffy croup.

I have kept up her in a dark-ish room to avoid more laying for as long as possible and today (day three) let her out in the garden for half an hour but all she did us drink. She has stinky white thickish liquid conk g out her back end when she "poops".

It's bank holiday in the UK and can't get hold of a vet. Should I do more or give her time? She isn't eating other than about 6 raisins yesterday a few short bits of grass. Doesn't seem interested.

Is there anything more I could or should do?

Thanks,

Ruth

Egg yolk peritonitis can occur when an egg breaks inside the vent. It sounds like she now has sour crop too, which can happen after antibiotics. I would start her on some plain yogurt or probiotics, and try to massage her crop several times a day. You may have to really encourage her to eat and drink. Give her no whole grains, and skip the raisins, instead give wet feed or applesauce. Some have had good luck using antifungal medications such as Nystatin, Medistatin, and yeast creams or suppositories. Here is a good link for crop issues: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice- we found a vet in the end and she has proscribed an anti inflammatory, something to ease her crop and a stronger antibiotic so think I will really need some probiotics.

I have been massaging her crop all evening and its really worked- I hear her burp and swallow whilst massaging and it has now stopped building up after about 5 sessions.

Vet said to mulch and syringe feed layers pellets for a couple of days too - but surviving the next 24hrs will be tricky.

Thanks again for the advice- it's great to hear from someone.

Back
Top Bottom