Bantam just quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsc1951, Nov 3, 2013.

1. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I have a 2 1/2 year old bantam EE that just stopped laying about two months ago. Three of my other girls molted about that time, she didn't. She is not eggbound and goes about the business of being a bossy little bantam as usual each and every day. Not every having had bantams, I don't know if this is normal behavior or if something else is going on. Nothing has changed in her environment. Is she just done with egg laying?

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    There's a bunch of reasons a hen might stop laying. Hens that are old, ill, molting, stressed, or experiencing shorter days due to the winter months, etc. may stop laying.

At 2 1/2 years old, I doubt it's her age. We have black sexlink that are 3 1/2 years old and still laying, and in my experience, Easter Eggers tend to have a longer laying life than black sexlink. I doubt she is ill or stressed, because you would have seen symptoms by now, and two months ago was a bit early to respond to the shortening days.

I would check to see if it looks like she's going through a molt. If she looks a bit scruffy or has new feathers coming in, you probably have your answer. Growing feathers requires a lot of energy, and unfortunately, most hens can't grow feathers and lay eggs at the same time as a result.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by