bantam nest boxes

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
What dimensions do I need for nest boxes for bantams? Where should they be located. I was hoping to stack them 2 high starting on the floor.

I have a pair of OEGB. I think mine ended up being 9" x 9" on the inside with about 12" head clearance (probably overkill on the head clearance.) I would think you could stack them 2 high without a problem, though I wouldn't place them directly on the ground. I'd get them at least a foot off the ground. I don't know what kind of bantams you have but mine wouldn't have a bit of trouble getting into the highest tree in my yard so 2 feet for the upper nesting box wouldn't be a problem for mine.

Jess

I think average nest boxes are 12 x 12". I have large chickens (not bantams), so mine have to be 14 x 14 ". Mine like to fly up a little bit before getting in the nest box as long as they have a little catwalk to fly to in front of the nest. But I think other people have them on the floor. Mine always prefer the lower ones to the upper floor ones.

Chickenannie, my girls are just the opposite of yours, they will fight over the highest nesting box in the coop. My nesting boxes in the hen coop are 12" x 12" for a couple sex links, barred rocks, and a couple others. They're a snug fit, but the girls seem to like them. I had a couple larger ones that I had used before (it was a rabbit cage that we converted) and when I added my smaller nesting boxes they picked the highest one and all insist on laying in it. If one of them is taking too long, the one who is waiting will climb in too. It's hilarious to watch two full grown chickens try to cram into a 12" x 12" nesting box.

My cochins have theirs just off the ground because they can't fly at all.

Jess

Back
Top Bottom