Bantam or Full Size Cochin chicks?

Jul 29, 2021
Cleveland, TN
Does anyone know if there is any way to determine whether a Cochin chick is a Bannie or Full Size, without having the two side by side? I bought 4 Blue Cochins from TSC, and, of course, they didn't specify. I think they are very small for almost 2 weeks old (a guesstimate), but I've never had Cochins OR Bannies before. Another thing that is confusing me is I got a white chick that I think is a White Cochin, and they were all the same size when I brought them home, but now the white chick is about ⅓ larger than all the blues. The white one is also feathering in faster.

Note: the larger bird pictured is a Buff Brahma, a little older than the others I think.

Attachments

• Snapchat-163137746.jpg
    Snapchat-163137746.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 43
  • JPEG_20210729_170907_2245870667012590288.jpg
    JPEG_20210729_170907_2245870667012590288.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 14
  • JPEG_20210729_170931_8112057765293688987.jpg
    JPEG_20210729_170931_8112057765293688987.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 17
Oh, the are sooooo cute! You say they are all the same age? They certainly are smaller. They do kinda look like bantams if that's the case.

Were they sold as pullets? It's pretty unlikely TSC would have sexed bantams as they get their birds from Hoovers, and I don't think they vent sex bantams there.

Maybe they are just younger than you were told??? Idk.

I just got some chicks from TSC a couple of days ago. They were in a bin labeled "Blue Andalusian." I came home with a Naked Neck, a Lavender Orpington, and a Silver Appenzeller Spitzhauben. 🤣🤣🤣

Oh, the are sooooo cute! You say they are all the same age? They certainly are smaller. They do kinda look like bantams if that's the case.

Were they sold as pullets? It's pretty unlikely TSC would have sexed bantams as they get their birds from Hoovers, and I don't think they vent sex bantams there.

I just got some chicks from TSC a couple of days ago. They were in a bin labeled "Blue Andalusian." I came home with a Naked Neck, a Lavender Orpington, and a Silver Appenzeller Spitzhauben. 🤣🤣🤣
Oh my goodness 😅🤣 I bet that was a surprise! They were all in the same tub, and theirs wasn't labeled as pullets, but all the other tubs were. They were marked as 2 pulleys and 4 bantams on the box, BUT the man that got them for me asked me what I thought they were because he really didn't know. I'm not sure about age, I looked at pictures online and guessed. The white one was the same size as the blues, and had the same amount of feathers they did. Now she's got longer wings and is feathering in on her thighs, and they haven't gotten there yet.

Can i see the SAS!? You can message if thatd be easier! Id be happy with that haul!! My TSC has the same breeds over and over again.

So cute! My broody is raing the babies for me right now, but I kinda wish I had them in a brooder. It's been years since I had chicks! I love hearing their little peeps.
I love broody hens, until I need their babies 😅 they're very helpful, but also incredibly scary at times. Another downside, depending on how you see it, is that when you have a broody hen you don't get to socialize the babies like you can when they're in a brooder.

I love broody hens, until I need their babies 😅 they're very helpful, but also incredibly scary at times. Another downside, depending on how you see it, is that when you have a broody hen you don't get to socialize the babies like you can when they're in a brooder.
I'm super lucky this time in that mama is my Silkie, Violet. She is not scary and lets me handle both her and her babies. This is her first adoption, but she's shaping up to be a perfect mama.

And she was raised by me in a brooder, so she's super tame and friendly.

I'm super lucky this time in that mama is my Silkie, Violet. She is not scary and lets me handle both her and her babies. This is her first adoption, but she's shaping up to be a perfect mama.

And she was raised by me in a brooder, so she's super tame and friendly.
Oh that's wonderful! The only broody hen I have now is the one that hatched out my cross breed chicks. She wasn't as bad as some I've had in the past because she was handled a bit as a chick, but goodness she's still intimidating 😅

Back
Top Bottom