1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam or runt?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ashley80, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Ashley80

Ashley80 Out Of The Brooder

These chicks are 5 weeks old. They were hatched from a batch of eggs I bought as "Polish Bantam", all the eggs were small and white. I'm wondering though if there was a mix of bantam and full size genes in the mix? Is that even possible of do I just have a couple of runts? I have two chicks the size of the small one and three the size of the large one. The small ones are also feathering up a bit slower than the rest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The small one isn't a Polish. Wrong leg color and wrong comb type.

3. Ashley80

Any idea what it might be? Here is a better pic of it with the other 'runt'. [​IMG]

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the bigger one might be Large Fowl (or mix) and the other two are bantams. It could be that the LF egg was a small pullet egg, so the mistake could have been innocent.

5. Ashley80

I guess time will tell, one of the large ones is also frizzled which was never mentioned when I bought the eggs, I'm beginning to think she'd just a bit fast and loose with her descriptions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by