Bantam roo? and what's a "Rainbow Layer"?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missydm, May 19, 2010.

1. missydm

missydm New Egg

Apr 28, 2010
    Augusta, KS
    I posted a picture of this little one a couple of weeks ago, but it was still too early to tell. You think it's a roo? His comb is awfully pink! I've grown very fond of this banty....he (or she) has a great personality....if that's possible for a chicken. [​IMG] The other picture I'm posting is what the feed store had labeled as a Rainbow Layer. Is this a mix of something? I hadn't heard of this breed. Also, how old do you think these are? I was guessing 3 months? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The first is a buff Cochin rooster

The second is a RIR pullet [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not going to guess the breeds. Others are better at that than me.

Rainbow layers are not a breed or a type. It is an assortment that you can get from certain hatcheries (Mcmurray is one I am aware of). This assortment will contain chickens of different breeds, so you might get red, yellow, black, white, or maybe some other colors in several different patterns. The "rainbow" refers to the different colors of chickens you might get. The eggs will be different shades of brown too. They might even include an occasional EE to give you a chance at blue or green eggs, but mostly the eggs will be different shades of brown. And since they are "layers", they try to include only pullets, but hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy on sex.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    yep that first one is a little boy! The layer is a production red. Have one just like it [​IMG]

5. missydm

missydm New Egg

Apr 28, 2010
    Augusta, KS
    Thank you all so much!!

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:That's my thoughs as well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by