Bantam roo? and what's a "Rainbow Layer"?

missydm

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Augusta, KS
I posted a picture of this little one a couple of weeks ago, but it was still too early to tell. You think it's a roo? His comb is awfully pink! I've grown very fond of this banty....he (or she) has a great personality....if that's possible for a chicken.
wink.png
The other picture I'm posting is what the feed store had labeled as a Rainbow Layer. Is this a mix of something? I hadn't heard of this breed. Also, how old do you think these are? I was guessing 3 months? Thanks!

55837_banty2.jpg

55837_img_2597.jpg

I'm not going to guess the breeds. Others are better at that than me.

Rainbow layers are not a breed or a type. It is an assortment that you can get from certain hatcheries (Mcmurray is one I am aware of). This assortment will contain chickens of different breeds, so you might get red, yellow, black, white, or maybe some other colors in several different patterns. The "rainbow" refers to the different colors of chickens you might get. The eggs will be different shades of brown too. They might even include an occasional EE to give you a chance at blue or green eggs, but mostly the eggs will be different shades of brown. And since they are "layers", they try to include only pullets, but hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy on sex.

Back
Top Bottom