Bantam roo better?

KauAnnie

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Maui
My dad wants a rooster to protect the other chickens and chicks from dogs and rats. So we have been talking to a few local breeders and friends and they said their bantam roosters are quieter and behave better. Do you think this is true? My neighbors home is about 10 feet away from where I have my coop and yard so quieter would be better, I think. Thanks!

Last edited:
My friend had two roosters, one New Hampshire Red standard size and one bantam Golden Seabright. According to him his bantam was way more aggressive and it;s crow wasn't near as loud as the NHR but he crowed so much more then then big one (like all day long). I don't think the size matters too much. I think it really is specific to the individual rooster.

I have 2 bantam roosters, one silkie and a pekin. i hardly ever hear the pekin and the silkie rooster only crows for about 2 crows when he gets let out in the morning. in my opinion bantam roosters are much quieter than standard sized chickens.

A guy down the street from me has a bantam rooster and it is super LOUD!! You can hear him all over the place and all day long. They were also told that Bantams crowed more quietly, but turns out, at least in their case, not to be true.

Honestly I'd say they're both about the same. But my standard EE roo is stronger than my Silkie roos, and would probably do better fighting off a predator because he's got a size advantage. But the three of them crow about the same, really, and they're a pretty mellow trio.

My bantam roo is not that loud, for example if the windows are shut I only hear him faintly on the second floor of my house, however! he goes at it for about an hour or longer in the morning beginning around 5:30-6.

On a side note, anyone looking for a sweet tempered 12 week old mille fleur/ameraucana mixed roo?

Bantams are a bit small to deal with rats etc. Some of the bigger roos will even eat a rat. I am just thinking of the roos I have had... there may be some bantam breeds that will do fine with that. It definitely does depend on each particular roo as to how much and how loud they crow. Some crow all day, some may have a 'small' crow but it can be piercing and often these little guys crow ALL day. Roos can be fantastic at taking care of their ladies and keeping critters off their turf. Others don't seem to even notice the 'invaders' ? Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom