1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam roo, broken back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwalters, Mar 2, 2014.

1. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    One of my sebright roos seems to have injured his back and is paralyzed. I need some help with culling. What is the fastest or easiest wayto do away with him with no suffering? Please help

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I prefer chopping the head off with a sharp ax, myself, because it's instant.

3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Are you sure it is an injury? Paralysis of the legs and/or wings can indicate disease, too. Sometimes birds can recover if it is not a spinal injury. Keep an eye on your other birds if you are not sure.

If you are sure it's an injury and feel he is suffering, you are probably right in that it would be kindest to cull him. A sharp, clean axe or hatchet is probably one of the fastest, most sure ways to do it at home for a pet, if you can stomach it. There are other ways but if you are inexperienced they can go wrong more easily and that can be very traumatic for your both. I'm sorry this happened to your roo. :(

4. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    I agree with using a sharp axe for a home job. Make sure you are all set up and calm when you do it, to be sure you make a clean, complete, and instantaneous cut. We put a baby sock loosely over the face so the bird can't see and will relax. It is a 2 person job the way we do it.

We lay the bird on the chopping block, and tie a string loosely around the neck. One person holds the body firmly with one hand, and with the other hand, gently pulls the string to slightly stretch out the bird's neck. The other person thwacks with the axe. Stretching out the neck a bit helps because the bird tends to hunker the head close into the shoulders, making it hard to aim for the neck.

Good luck. It is horrible to have to do it, but it is the kindest option, imo, if you have no way of helping a suffering bird.

5. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Thank you for the replies. I am sure it is an injury I can feel the dislocation of the spine. I decided to have him euthanized. Didn't trust myself with anything else and didn't want to make him hurt worse.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    I see... I am so sorry to hear this. I understand your decision as it is probably the same one I would make. Again, very sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by