Bantam Rooster and Standard Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chad the Chicken Man, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    On saturday I picked up a Nankin Bantam Rooster for my hens. I gues the nankins are one of the smallest bantam breeds?? but he is around 4 months old and super tiny. is there going to be a problem with me keeping the bantam with my standards?? I put the rooster on the roost at night time and the next morning the hens were picking on him bad, so right now i have him in a cage inside the chicken coop. What do you guys think i should do? i really wanted to get a larger bantam but my girlfriend fell in love with the little guy.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Give them some time, regardless of who the newbie is, they will get picked on until they are aware of "their place"...with bantams, it's usually best if there is somewhere for them to get away from the "big kids", like a box they can run into, or some other little getaway that the bigger birds can't get into. It also helps if there is more than one, to divert some of the unwanted attention, so one doesn't take it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by