Bantam rooster with regular barred rocks Possible???

jess5254

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Maine
Okay I just bought a new Brinsea mini advance with an egg turner. I am dying to try it out, soo the only rooster I have is an old english bantam rooster and he is in with 6 full sized barred rocks which lay faithfully even with the cold Maine winters. They have lights on timers change water twice daily and collect eggs twice a day. There are also two old english bantam hens with them, but have not laid since fall. I have found most bantams don't lay hardly at all in the cold, or atleast the ones I have don't. Anyways I looked at info online about a bantam rooster mating with full size chickens and if it was possible. The internet said it was and I am now trying it out. I was just wondering if anyone has done this or am I crazy for trying or even thinking it is possible? I have cracked some eggs and they seem fertile but I am sooo new to this I don't know. Any info would be great?!!!
hu.gif

Roos will try and get their jiggy on with anything they can. Whether or not your little guy is hitting the mark...I dunno. My D'uccles regularly fertilize the big-big girls. How? I couldn't tell ya, and I don't want to know.

You can always check the eggs for fertility, and when in doubt: try to incubate. 7 days in the bator and you'll know if he's getting the job done.

I have put seven of the eggs in an incubator they are on day three and impatiently waiting to candle them. Thanks for the responses.

I have a bantam cochin has been successful with my leghorn, NH red, and delaware. He has not been successful with my EEs, though not for lack of trying, haha.

Back
Top Bottom