Bantam Rooster with Standard Hens

CarolB865

Chirping
May 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
My chicks are just 8 weeks old today and I'm already thinking about this! I have one cockerel who's a Bantam Easter Egger since that's all I was going to have was bantam Easter Eggers, Well, lo and behold out of the 8 I got as 2 day old chicks, 5 were cockerels so 4 of them are off to good homes. In the meantime, in the midst of chick fever, I bought 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 standard Easter Eggers. 1 of those Easter Eggers looks to be another cockerel but he's extremely submissive to my bantam cockerel!

My bantam seems to be a great rooster to be, herding everyone around, standing back when I have treats so the girls get their's first and turning them all into the coop at night. I'm wondering if, because he is a bantam, if the standard size hens will have anything to do with him once they are all full size? Right now the standards are bigger than him but haven't seemed to figure that out yet! I'm thinking will I need to get a few more bantam pullets for him since he's only got 2 that will be his size?

I'm guessing that size does matter in this case?
lol.png

Bantam roosters can maintain a position at the top of the pecking order - especially when raised along with full sized birds. Some even learn how to 'make contact' and fertilize their eggs. Where there is a will there is a way.

Back
Top Bottom