Bantam Silkie Comb?

AuroraDarlinn

Songster
8 Years
May 29, 2015
OR
I have some hatchery silkie bantams. Two of them are 4 weeks old and their combs are very different. is it anything to do with the sex? I was taking pictures to ask if they looked more male or female at this point when I found the bumps on the comb 🧐 The flat combed one is a buff. It’s the largest of these two and larger then my 5week old. It’s comb looks like the 5 week old. The one with a bumpy comb is a red silkie and very small. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 43D74E9F-1D41-4C63-9F64-390BEB1A9BB0.jpeg
    43D74E9F-1D41-4C63-9F64-390BEB1A9BB0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 4F10C660-91CA-4F91-AB4F-4B8E7CD7FC36.jpeg
    4F10C660-91CA-4F91-AB4F-4B8E7CD7FC36.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Have you ever seen one start like this??
I have no personal experience with Silkies.

But I have seen quite a few single combs, and some combs that were pea, rose, walnut, V, and buttercup (all on non-Silkies).

That comb doesn't look quite like anything I have seen before, but it resembles a single comb more than it resembles anything else I have seen.

So single comb is my best guess for that chick, but I could be wrong :idunno

I would really like to see pictures as it grows, because combs can change a lot as they go from baby size to adulthood, and I can't visualize how this one will go!

Single comb is a recessive gene and very common especially in hatchery quality Silkies. I have had it pop-up even in birds I have gotten from breeders. It can be hidden for generations and then express in the right circumstances.
If your birds are just pets, then it doesn’t really matter. Personally I never use single combed birds for breeding purposes.😊

I have no personal experience with Silkies.

But I have seen quite a few single combs, and some combs that were pea, rose, walnut, V, and buttercup (all on non-Silkies).

That comb doesn't look quite like anything I have seen before, but it resembles a single comb more than it resembles anything else I have seen.

So single comb is my best guess for that chick, but I could be wrong :idunno

I would really like to see pictures as it grows, because combs can change a lot as they go from baby size to adulthood, and I can't visualize how this one will go!
Thank you 🌸 I will update this thread with pics.

Single comb is a recessive gene and very common especially in hatchery quality Silkies. I have had it pop-up even in birds I have gotten from breeders. It can be hidden for generations and then express in the right circumstances.
If your birds are just pets, then it doesn’t really matter. Personally I never use single combed birds for breeding purposes.😊
Just for home, thank you for the info 🌸

This post was very helpful, thank you, as I currently have two 4 week old chicks, a Silkie and a Frizzle.

This is my first time with Silkies and I am also trying to sex mine. My little Frizzle I already suspect to be male. He has a little mohawk that could be the beginning of streamer feathers. I think the Silkie is a hen, however it is still early!

Does anyone here mix their bantams (silkie/frizzle) with bigger birds? I have a Sussex, a Barred Rock, a Red Sexlink a Leghorn and an Azure Blue. They are mostly friendly with other birds but last year the sexlink was bullying the Barred Rock badly. The Azure was a baby but fit in with the flock well at about 15 weeks. Currently, the Azure is bossing around the Sexlink, who was Second in acommand to the Sussex for two years before that lol!

So, I am also trying to sex Silkie chicks and wondering how to introduce bantams to the bigger girls.

This board is so helpful, thanks in advance. ☺️🐣

Back
Top Bottom