1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by haycroft, Mar 17, 2009.

1. haycroft

haycroft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    UK
    hi..ive just joined and would like abit of advice...my black bantam is sitting on 5 eggs..4/5 days...we have a lavender cockeral so the eggs must be fertile(hope so)BUT she sitting on two of my hybrid hen eggs aswell..which also should be fertilised as the cock lives with all of them

this is my first time having a hen sit and hopefully having some chicks..the kids cant wait

a few QS
    i read that you candle them to see if they are fertilised...how do i do this and when is the best time for doing so
    would it be ok for her to rear other breed of chicks
    what colours of bantams should i get if the hen is black and cock is lavender

many thanks im sure i'll ask for more advice nearer the time...shes due at the end of the month

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

She will raise the other ones without a problem. You should candle at around day 7 or 10. I would do it at night with a really bright flashlight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by