Bantam vs standard vs Brahma?

Chickychickyxx

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Finland
Hi. Do you have any photos in which there are bantam, standard size and brahma (large size) chickens together? I can't imagine the difference between their height. Also, which ones should I keep together? Do they eat the same amount of food if I free range them? Do bigger birds have more meat or more feather or both?
Do brahma good for egg and do they lay in winter? Thank u.

A standard chicken is about 10-12 inches tall, a bantam is usually 6-8 inches tall and a brahma is a breed and they can get up to 2 feet tall. Obviously genetics and breed type come in to factor.

The two big girls are sussex crosses (sussex sized) two on the right are Old english game bantams then there is silkie, cohcin bantam, silkie/cochin bantam mix and a Lav Araucana cockerel (AUS standard)
53461930_10157180252544529_2516672392449753088_o.jpg

I don't have any Brahma. All the breeds in my signature are in a mixed flock. The large fowl definitely have more meat but I swear my little ones moult just as many feathers

The two big girls are sussex crosses (sussex sized) two on the right are Old english game bantams then there is silkie, cohcin bantam, silkie/cochin bantam mix and a Lav Araucana cockerel (AUS standard)
View attachment 2164996

I don't have any Brahma. All the breeds in my signature are in a mixed flock. The large fowl definitely have more meat but I swear my little ones moult just as many feathers
Thank u!! Look like you keep them all together 🥰. Do they usually fight? Do you keep any rooster? Do the bigger ones eat more???

I now have about 40+ (need to recount lol) in my flock ranging from 4 weeks to 4+ years and most live together in my main flock, once they establish the pecking order there isn't any real fighting or bullying going on. I did start with Bantams, specifically my silkies which I used to raise the two large girls in the photo which I think helped as when I had a smaller flock they all respected the smaller ones who were there first and were higher on the pecking order. at he moment I have three roosters in the main flock, the oldest and top rooster is my olive egger which is a large bantam size and then I have a rhode island red and a cochin/silkie cross. Yes the larger the bird the more food it will consume but free ranging helps keep the cost down in the warmer months when there is plenty to forage for

Back
Top Bottom