Bantam vs Standard?

Quote:
No it's not just you, Ole Rooster. It's me, too. Some children are great with animals. I was one of them--grew up with dogs and cats and cattle, and when I was six, I had my first bantams. Some children are just too rough. You have to take a really, really honest approach to this. Are your kids the rough or gentle types? Handling creatures roughly doesn't mean they're bad kids, just that they'll be longer learning how to be gentle. Don't get anything until the children that will be around the birds are sure to be gentle. If you rush things, you're setting everyone--including the kids-- up for heartache.

My suspicion, and it's just a suspicion, is that your kids are a little young yet.

Or you could look at the flip side: even the most docile of breeds produce some ill tempered chickens. Which could hurt your children (bantam or standard). Either way you go, its never a good idea to leave children and chickens together unsupervised. Children are closer to the ground, so its just a short leap for a chicken to reach their face. Good luck...

I appreciate all the responses and advice. It sounds like we need more standards than bantams for our egg needs. Though, I certainly will order a few bantams as well.

With regards to children and chickens: Any situation involving children and another living being has to be approached with caution, education and respect. Respect for both the child and the animal. To consider any living being a toy is most certainly disrespectful of their life. Raising animals with small children fosters helps to build a good foundation for human interactions at a primal level. The level that we all begin at. After all, what are animals but our ancient siblings and playmates. Why do you think that animals have been used over and over again to help and befriend undeserved human populations? Because when you are operating from a highly emotional state (for instance, a four year old), it is easier to relate to a more basic being whose behaviors are dictated by need and not emotion. [/soapbox]

All that to say, I am confident this is a project I can tackle with my big girl. The baby is well, still a baby, but the foundations of learning start in the womb.
wink.png

Quote:
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
Good for you!! I wholeheartedly agree! Children learn by example and experience. If you are modeling gentle, responsible handling, and supervise to ensure that the are giving the animals the same treatment, then you will have no problem. Children do learn something intrinsic through interactions with animals. I think this separation from animals and the circle of life is part of the loss of empathy we see so much in society today. Mankind has lost his ability to relate to animals and each other. I think when you are around animals you develop a much keener sense of non-verbal communication, which contributes to empathy. So many young people today don't seem to have a clue about body language.

I have a mixed flock (kids and chickens)
wink.png
I have found that the red sex links are calm, friendly and very good egg producers. I have Ameraucana's because I love blue eggs, but they have just started laying this week ( I've gotten 2 blue eggs ), so I can't tell yet if they will be good producers, but they are calm and friendly also. Our bantams are cochins, and we dearly love them. We had silkies also for a bit, and loved them, too. Both breeds make good pets. I have leghorns also, they are good producers, but are not as friendly, they are nervous and flighty, typical for that breed. Good luck and have fun selecting your breeds of chickens. Henderson's chicken chart is a good resource to help you decide which breeds.
frow.gif

Quote:
Very well said. And I would agree with teach1russl. Check some breeds out in person before you purchase. Ive bought a mix of bantams and the D'uccles are usually pretty docile and actually friendly. Bantams are more ornamental but definitely eat and poo alot less and still lay eggs, just a bit smaller. But all in all I would say get a couple of each and youll get big eggs and a couple nice looking less intimidating bantams. Good luck with your purchases and make sre you post pics haha:)

Agree with most of what has been said... our kids have been around chickens for years. They have been taught to be gentle and how to hold a bird and not to drop them etc etc. I still supervise and occasionally catch one being a little too creative around the birds. We recently visited someone who has two boys older than our kids. They have been in the country for just over a year and our daughter was horrified and so distressed to see one of the boys chasing and grabbing the hens with no regard for injuries etc. The mother was standing and watching and did nothing though she did say he needed to learn more
th.gif
How on earth he was going to learn without her teaching him I have no idea! Sounds like you have the right idea there - early exposure and supervision is great! My kids are better at catching the chickens than I am - they also have way more time to spend with the birds picking them up and holding them. They are very quick to point out if they think someone (chicken) is off colour or injured in any way. They learn some of the realities of life too... Birds get injured, die, have to get rid of extra roos no matter how much they like them and they understand because they see how some get so beaten up....

We have had great experiences for the kids with d'Uccles, cochins (bantam and large) buff orpingtons (large fowl) rhode island red hens, welsummer hens, silkies... we have always chosen breeds for temperament as I will not risk my kids getting a spur in the face (or a peck in the eye) That said, we had some mean little cochin roos, and I had a horrid BO roo that almost pecked a chunk out of my DD hand and tried to spur me... they go straight into the pot. And the kids know that... fantastic experience for the kids and us! I highly recommend it! Have fun! The kids adore their birds (they each have a pet bantam that is allowed to stay regardless of egg laying etc) DD is 9 and has had her own chicken for about 4 years and DS is 5 and has had a bird for about the same length of time. He of course needed much more supervision, in the beginning - but now is incredibly gentle and calm around the birds.

I don't let most kids anywhere near our birds because most of them have no clue about handling animals, nevermind fragile birds!

i don't think i have ever been able to hold my bantams they are scared of everything probably because they are so small!! but my buff orpingtons are the friendliest ones and trusting that i have had...
D.gif

I have four standards and one bantam (I was going to have two but blah blah blah). Standards are nicer than the bantam, good layers, and fairly "obedient." The bantam on the other hand is really smart, evil, a terrible layer, and full of herself. She decided to take on the role of being a rooster. One time she attacked a hawk that weighed 22 pounds more than her. She also often does really strange thing like prancing around the run squawking while the other chickens are eating treats. I do not understand her little pea brain. Oh well. I guess it matters if you want friendly chickens that can lay or brave little funny chickens that has a little too much personality.
One more thing. My bantam and my standards are both easily handled (I have an Australorp, Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Black Copper Marans, and Quail Antwerp Belgian). I once had a cochin, but she died. She was really sweet.

Last edited:
Quote:
No it's not just you, Ole Rooster. It's me, too. Some children are great with animals. I was one of them--grew up with dogs and cats and cattle, and when I was six, I had my first bantams. Some children are just too rough. You have to take a really, really honest approach to this. Are your kids the rough or gentle types? Handling creatures roughly doesn't mean they're bad kids, just that they'll be longer learning how to be gentle. Don't get anything until the children that will be around the birds are sure to be gentle. If you rush things, you're setting everyone--including the kids-- up for heartache.

My suspicion, and it's just a suspicion, is that your kids are a little young yet.

I agree with these responses. My granddaughter aged five loves animals, but expects them to be still so she can hold them. She doesn't quite understand that they have minds of their own, and gets upset that they move and try to get away from her. She also screams and jumps if one comes toward her, which also scares the animal. Needles to say, she doesn't get to hold my chickens, and is closely watched when she is around them, for their safety, and hers. I am working with her on how to act, and she is getting better, but she still has a lot to learn.

I've never been a fan of using an animal as a toy. I seen to many 4 and 5 year olds break dogs legs. Not on purpose but from lack of knowing how to hold a puppy and even understanding. If I had childern around here they would not pick up my chickens for sure. To many bad experences. The " I didn't mean too", or "I'm sorry" don't do much when the animals hurt.

Then that's just me.
I agree as well I only truely trust kids who I know quite well

Back
Top Bottom