Bantam with largefowl?

Armando I 3454

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I'm going to get my sister a bantam Cochin for Christmas but all I have currently in my flock are standard/large fowl chickens. The thing I'm worried about is will the roosters hurt her when mating? We have 1 lavender mix Orpington and a normal buff orping ton and 1 ameraucana but he's the lowest of the roosters so I don't think he would mate any of the hens, and a light brahma rooster. The brahma is the one I'm worried about and I'm scared he could injured her. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Introducing a bantam to an established flock can present serious problems. Big birds pick on smaller birds, sad but true. Bantams raised with large fowl as chicks generally make their own place in the pecking order. Adults added to an established flock are generally in trouble.

Right now I have 2 other chickens that are smaller than the rest and younger and 1 game hen that is pretty small and they don't get picked on a lot. So they won't just get along? Because a lot of my chickens are from different sources at least like 4 different sources and they get along fine.

Right now I have 2 other chickens that are smaller than the rest and younger and 1 game hen that is pretty small and they don't get picked on a lot. So they won't just get along? Because a lot of my chickens are from different sources at least like 4 different sources and they get along fine.

If you need to introduce the bantam to an established flock, I would get her two so she has a friend. It is more difficult introducing one chick. I have mostly large fowl with a few bantams. Usually the big roosters accept them as part of the flock but don't bother or try to breed them. I have a bantam rooster too.
We did get rid of one young LF cockerel who wouldn't leave the bantam girls alone. He didn't know what he was doing and would grab them by their combs. The final straw was when he tried to drag one up the drive way.
My avatar rooster was huge and there was one little bantam girl who would always solicit him. Other than that he left the bantams alone.
I now have mostly large fowl with 2 LF roosters and a few bantam hens with one bantam rooster and they all get along fine.
Every year I introduce replacement birds, ones I've hatched myself with no problems.

I'm going to get my sister a bantam Cochin for Christmas but all I have currently in my flock are standard/large fowl chickens. The thing I'm worried about is will the roosters hurt her when mating? We have 1 lavender mix Orpington and a normal buff orping ton and 1 ameraucana but he's the lowest of the roosters so I don't think he would mate any of the hens, and a light brahma rooster. The brahma is the one I'm worried about and I'm scared he could injured her. Help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have a Bantam hen in with my Heavy breeds......I have a large Brahma/Ameruacana Rooster.....He breeds my Bantam....No issues.......It is so quick and over in seconds......

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom