bantam

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksct, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Can anyone tell and show what bantams look like (maybe age progression), temperment, size, egg color, broodiness etc?

~are there different kinds of bantams?

2. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Bantams are a smaller version of a breed. Standard being the larger size. They lay smaller eggs . As for temperment and broodieness... it just varys from breed to breed.

3. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    I have 3 bantams and 1 standard. In my little but of experience, I think the bantams are not near as aggressive and scary looking as the bantams. If a bantam pecks at you, big deal. But if a standard pecks at you, you may come back with bloody hands![​IMG] Just saying...

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Not all bantams are a small version of a larger breed. Scrolling through the henderson chicken chart I count 8 true bantams which have no standard counterparts. They are only bantam.

There are hundreds of chicken breeds and for nearly every standard breed there is a bantam as well the true bantams. They can look like anything. Every color, every feather type, feathered legs or not, and every weird feathering that exists.... They can also lay every color of egg that the standards can although finding bantam versions that lay the dark eggs is very difficult.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chicken_breeds
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

5. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have all bantams now and think they are great! If you want to hatch your own chicks, a broody bantam can't be beat. They make great moms. They only draw back is they want to be moms a lot so they are not the best at contiuous egg production.

6. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Bantams are not a breed but a size of chicken. Like, a miniature poodle is like a bantam. and a standard poodle is like a standard. [​IMG]

I have only ever had bantams. Silkies, and a bantam cochin. Silkies are good broodies. (from what I've read up. mine are still young) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by