Bantams for setting

cathunter10

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Piedmont, MO.
In your opinions which breed of bantams are the broodiest .I want to get som bantams but I want to have eye candy plus have hens that are good setters.
Bill

Everyone says silkies brood when you say boo to them or even when you say nothing.
My daughter has cochin bantams and her white ones are forever going broody on her.

Bantams, cochins, games are all good at brooding and raising chicks. Games are especially protective mothers.

As a general rule Silkies are the best but Games are also often excellent. I know someone who crosses Silkies & Games for the sole purpose of producing setting hens.

I have BB Red Malays & have found them to be excellent broodies. Last year I had one hatch 3 consecutive batches. When the chicks hatched I took them away & replaced them with more eggs. She just kept on setting & I think she would have continued even longer.

My curly frizzles are wonderful mothers, they have hatched out many babies, even when I don't want them to and they are so cute to look at with all those curls.

Back
Top Bottom