Bantams for setting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cathunter10, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    In your opinions which breed of bantams are the broodiest .I want to get som bantams but I want to have eye candy plus have hens that are good setters.
    Bill

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Everyone says silkies brood when you say boo to them or even when you say nothing.
    My daughter has cochin bantams and her white ones are forever going broody on her.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bantams, cochins, games are all good at brooding and raising chicks. Games are especially protective mothers.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    As a general rule Silkies are the best but Games are also often excellent. I know someone who crosses Silkies & Games for the sole purpose of producing setting hens.

I have BB Red Malays & have found them to be excellent broodies. Last year I had one hatch 3 consecutive batches. When the chicks hatched I took them away & replaced them with more eggs. She just kept on setting & I think she would have continued even longer.

5. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    My curly frizzles are wonderful mothers, they have hatched out many babies, even when I don't want them to and they are so cute to look at with all those curls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by