Bantams in winter? What do you do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ESofVA, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I keep reading that bantams are harder to keep and raise than standards but it doesn't say why?? Other than laying and raising and fertility, and not including the miniaturized standards. I have lso read that "harsh" climates make it more difficult, but what is considered a harsh climate?
    Our plant growing zone is 7b. Is this a harsh climate? We live on the coast of VA and the humidity is generally high. It does freeze during the winter and it does snow. It doesn't get below the upper twenties and snow isn't deep and it doesn't stay on the ground long.
    In this climate, what should I do to keep my bantams from getting too cold? Do I need heat in the coop? My coops are small and my silkies pile up together in a nest box so they feel quite toasty. I am not concerned about them. I do worry about my 2 Sebrights, my 1 Japanese and my 2 Bearded d'Uccles. Will they need extra heat if their coop is mostly closed in?
    We have fixed one coop so the front will be closed in except for the opening for access. The back is completely closed in. The sides are open near the top on the sides. The entire coop sets (but not the pen) in an open fronted shed. We have covered the top of the pen, most of one side, and the other side is about 1 1/2 feet from a short wall of metal sheeting and all of that side is 5' from a storage shed. I guess I should get a picture of the "contraption"...Ha!!...so you can see what I am talking about and I will do that later today.
    I have some standard chickens that I am not worried about.
    Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if you have provided a well ventilated draft free coop. Keep things dry, provide adequate feed and water and they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by