Bantams to OGs (Original Girls)

tracy5409

Chirping
Apr 10, 2020
Hi, I am trying to add 2 sweet Dutch Bantams to my existing flock of 12 regular girls. We live in a neighborhood and our lot is at the end of the cul-de-sac with neighbors & dogs behind us. I am trying to figure out how to introduce these beauties to my OGs without killing them. I also want to make sure that they don't fly out & become a snack to the neighbors' dogs. I am thinking that the safest thing to do is to re-home them :-( Please help!

Try the see but don't touch method. Section off a part of the coop where the OG can see the two Dutch, but not touch them. Give the Dutch girls their own food and waterer. Try this for a couple of days. After that, stick them together.

As for flying, you could try by clipping wings.
1605583474096.png

Not my picture. When you clip wings you can take a sharp scissors, have a helper hold the chicken, and clip the primaries. There is a small, short feather (not in the diagram) called a key feather, and you clip until you get to that feather. Only clip as high as the coverts on the primaries. Clipping one wing only will give them the ability to fly up to the roost, but limits their flying over fences. Also would limit their getting away from predators, so I would wait and see about the clipping until they prove themselves escape artists. Some of my bantams have been "Get out of everything you put them in" and some have been totally fine.

Hi, I am trying to add 2 sweet Dutch Bantams to my existing flock of 12 regular girls. We live in a neighborhood and our lot is at the end of the cul-de-sac with neighbors & dogs behind us. I am trying to figure out how to introduce these beauties to my OGs without killing them.
How old are these new birds?
Where are they living now?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

I also want to make sure that they don't fly out & become a snack to the neighbors' dogs.
Secure run with a mesh roof.

Back
Top Bottom