bantams vs standards questions

Tecalli

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
State College, PA
Hi all, I have a few questions about bantams compared to the standard version of the same breed:

1. Do bantams mature at a different rate than the standards? For ex., large breed dogs are slower to mature than small breeds. So, do bantams of the same breed tend to lay earlier than standards?
2. While obviously the size of the egg will be smaller, is there a difference in egg laying frequency between standards and bantams?
3. Are there personality differences between standards and bantams? For ex., is a brahma bantam just as docile as a standard brahma?

Thanks!

I don't have any answers for you. I DO have the same questions! Anyone?
tongue.png

I don't have the same breeds in Large fowl as I have in bantam, but the bantams I do have achieve their growth faster, but unless hatched early in the year, have waited till the next spring to lay. But, not sure for instance, how a LF RIR would compare to a bantam RIR.

Bantam breeds are all unique just like standard breeds are all unique. Some take longer to mature and some mature quickly. They do tend to go broody more than most standard breeds which would cause fewer eggs through the year but otherwise if they don't go broody many will lay as well as standards. My japanese bantams lay better than any standards I have. As for personality again bantams are just as individually unique as standard breeds. Some will want nothing to do with you and some will be pets (or pests) that follow you around constantly. I'm always tripping over the little grey bantam EE hen.
roll.png
Some of my others I can't even catch during the day and have to slip them off the roosts at night.

Back
Top Bottom