Bantams want in Pen too

Birdygirl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
I have 2 1yr old banams and have recently bought 25 baby chicks whom are now 5 weeks old and they are in the pen outside.
The bantams are hanging around the pen on the outside now for over a week and occasionally "crying" like they want to get in the pen with the chicks. they are all pretty much the same size now as the banties.
Is it ok to put the banties in the pen with the chicks and see how they get along?
Also the boss of the banties has been getting aggravated at the other one since she doesnt folllow her around all the time like she used to. sometimes she pecks at the wings of the other one and screeches at her...when she hangs around the pen too long! lol I think she is jealous! LOL

update!
I tried to put one of my banties in with the 5 week olds in the coop and she went after each chick and pecked the heck out of them...even if they weren't right next to her. She hogged the feeder/waterer and if the chicks tried to come eat/drink she pecked really hard at them sending them running for cover.. She must have gotten to at least 10 of them in the span of about 5 minutes....sooooo. I took her out and now she is setting outside pen upset...
She I try at Night? Or wait a lil longer???

I would waite. Sounds to me like the Banty just wanted the baby feed. They go NUTs over it! I would waite....untill the little ones are big enough to defend themselves.

Thank you , I wont try again for a while. And you are right, she went right for the feeder and filled up!!!

Back
Top Bottom