Bantams with Standards?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kickinchicken, Aug 29, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hey All! I have 5 Bantams (3 cochin, a Sebright (super small!) and a Sultan). I want to add 3 BOs next Spring as my little girls aren't much for producing eggs. They're cute as heck but too small. So, my question is: Can I have 3 standard hens with my 5 bantams? I plan on getting babies, keeping them inside until the weather breaks and integrating them slowly. 2 of my cochins are only 6 weeks old, the rest are 6 months old and so far, the flock is very bonded. I am hoping to do the same with the BOs next spring.

My coop is 4dx8wx6h. The girls tend to roost together on the far right of the roost, all 5 fill up a 3 ft. space. I plan on adding more roosts. Oh, and I am also thinking of getting another coop off EBay so that they can spread out to a new coop if they want and have it as a "bad chicken" coop as well.

So, what do you think?

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have 6 bantams (2 hens and 4 roosters) in with 11 standard hens. They all get along just fine.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Mine do fine together. As a matter of fact I have a Serama/OEGB Roo who torments my Buff Orpington Roo all day long [​IMG]

The only problem that I have is that the same little roo has selected one Standard Wyandotte hen that he likes to share his...er... affection with and because of the size difference, it can be a little rough on her back and feathers. I just watch and make sure that she never gets too bald in those spots.

Otherwise...no problems.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

The only problem I have is when the bantam roosters pick on the standard roosters... [​IMG]

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have 3 bantam cochins in with 7 standards (asstd). The highest on the pecking order is the smallest little bantam cochin hen! She pushes the largest hen around all day long!! lol

6. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Ok, great! I can't have a roo because we aren't even supposed to have chickens so I have to stay under the radar. I do adore the BOs and thought they'd make a great addition to our flock.
    We did have a bantam SLW pair but I rehomed them together. He was so handsome and such a great guardian. I miss his antics and his handsome strut. Oh well, the girls will do fine until we move out to the country and can actually have a roo!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It's funny - I have some standard size chickens that won't get along with my bantams (they immediately start the bullying), and I have some standards that have integrated perfectly. So I have two flocks. [​IMG]

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    they should be fine but you MUST introduce them early when their about the same size put them together and let them sort out the pecking order

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Same here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by