Bantams

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
What Bantam breed is the quietest and will lay a good amount of eggs a year? I have 2 oegb and a d'uccle. I need a couple birds that are smaller but will lay enough eggs for my husband and family and that is quiet.

What Bantam breed is the quietest and will lay a good amount of eggs a year? I have 2 oegb and a d'uccle. I need a couple birds that are smaller but will lay enough eggs for my husband and family and that is quiet.
Loudness of the bird is very individual. Many people claim that Silkies are quiet.
This is definitely not true in my experience. My two smallest hens (2 lbs each) are the loudest by far of all my birds.🤣
Bantams in general lay fewer eggs (and smaller of course) then standard breeds.
If you are looking for productivity, then I expect the bantam Rhode Island Reds or other bantam versions of standard breeds are your best bet. Good luck.😊

Loudness of the bird is very individual. Many people claim that Silkies are quiet.
This is definitely not true in my experience. My two smallest hens (2 lbs each) are the loudest by far of all my birds.🤣
Bantams in general lay fewer eggs (and smaller of course) then standard breeds.
If you are looking for productivity, then I expect the bantam Rhode Island Reds or other bantam versions of standard breeds are your best bet. Good luck.😊
Thank you

Oh ok, see I'm still learning about chickens. I know the 3 remaining we got 10 weeks ago were advertised as just bantams and silkies and all pullets. We had to rehome 3 roosters and 2 of the 3 remaining are oegb and the other is a d'uccle.
Cornish and Cornish bantams are true breeds that you usually have to order through a hatchery since they're not super popular.

The Cornish that feed stores sell are CornishX, the meat birds that are processed at 8 weeks old for large carcasses

From what I have seen Bantam chicks are almost always sold as straight run unless you get older started pullets or unless they are a sexlink/autosexing breed. Apparently their smaller size makes it difficult to sex them when they are hatched. So be careful when purchasing because with straight run you have a chance of getting a rooster.

From what I have seen Bantam chicks are almost always sold as straight run unless you get older started pullets or unless they are a sexlink/autosexing breed. Apparently their smaller size makes it difficult to sex them when they are hatched. So be careful when purchasing because with straight run you have a chance of getting a rooster.
I know out of the 6 we got 10 weeks ago. We had to rehome 3 because they were roosters. I am hoping the 3 we have are females. I dint want to have to rehome them.

Back
Top Bottom