bantum chicken wont lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickinflock, Mar 10, 2012.

1. newchickinflock

newchickinflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    My son found a chicken on an ice rink and brought it home because it was too cold to move. we did our research and made it a spacious home in our garage with a nesting box,roost,and heater. we are feeding her egg layers crumble, some cracked corn, she also has grit to eat. We have had her for 2 weeks now and she has yet to lay an egg. Does anyone know why she is not laying? She is bantum chicken (about 3 lbs) very friendly but wont lay...help! :) ps: we are in the process of building an outdoor coop with a run it should be finished this weekend!

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi newchickinflock,

all chickens have a break from laying, often during winter. So she may just be 'between laying periods'.

They also stop laying if their diet hasn't been very good, or they're thin.

As well, sometimes hens also go off lay to sit on eggs. Many bantam breeds are more prone to doing this than larger breeds.

I hate to say it, but lastly there's always the chance she might be a he... Do you have a photo you could post if that might be the case?

best wishes
    Erica

3. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    in the winter my chickens stop laying eggs.

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    There can be many reasons chickens stop laying eggs... shortage of daylight, molting, shock in changing environment, old age, diet and on and on.

Chickens are not egg machines so dont expect a regular production rate. Mine would slow if it is a cold or dreary day.

You seem to be providing a good environment. As long as it is exhibiting healthy behavior such as eating, drinking, pooping and alert, then just sit back and let her move in her speed.

I have never own just one bird but I have heard that chickens do better when they have company.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    My 3 girls have been laying all winter. They seem to rotate. One is off one day and two are laying. Not sure if this spread out equally. Hard to tell for sure who belongs to which egg. We are averaging 2 eggs every day and this has been going on steadily since the first week in January. Can hens lay too much? I am worried that my girls may wear out, that so much laying is going to tax their systems. Is that possible? They seem very healthy, a bit chubby perhaps but that should be better given our cold weather.[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A picture would be great!

My cochin bantams have just started laying after the winter, and they haven't been traumatized like you poor hen. I'd expect her to start laying by Easter. Then again, she could be an older hen who just won't lay as often as a younger hen. Or, could be a rooster, although I'd think that would have made itself known by now.

7. newchickinflock

Mar 10, 2012
    She layed an egg today! I will get a pic and post it

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

See what a little patience can do? [​IMG]

Congratulations!

Just so you know, most bantam breeds are considered "ornamental" and not necessarily good, frequent layers. There are exceptions of course, but the breed isn't considered "layers." (That makes her eggs so much more special!)

9. newchickinflock

Mar 10, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. newchickinflock

Mar 10, 2012
    This weekend we went got 3 more chicks that are older so she will be having friends soon! we currently have them living in the completed chicken coop together but fenced off from eachother so she cant bully them. the chicks have part of the house and the chicken in the picture has the other half and access outside! She is really enjoying her new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by