Banty Cornish Cross?? (Pics added)

Quote:
Wasn't ordered, I went to the local hatchery and got em. He was in with ALL the rest of the CXs.

There is one more that I have a question about, but I don't have a pic yet of him... I'll try and get one tonight. You're most helpful
big_smile.png

Wolfwoman- If you can, take a side shot of that one in question.
In answer to the question of why is this one smaller (and others) I had several like that last year, they are runts. The reason probably being that the CRX are freaky crazy birds that have been bred exclusively to grow big and do it fast, the sacrifice to this is that you have runts, leg problems and heart issues. Basically, it could just be an effect of inbreeding that is making the runts. Alright then, you consider if you go to the store and buy a chicken that is dressed, it will probably be anywhere from 2.5 pounds to 4.5 pounds. When I butchered 44 chickens last fall the lightest one (Nugget, who grew lots slower than the rest and actually spent half his life with the purebreds that were comparable in size), he still dressed out a very meaty 3.0 pounds. So, the verdict where I am sitting is that you got some runts that won't be as big as the others but will still make a good meal. And if I am wrong may I eat all the chicken in my freezer over it
big_smile.png

However, yes there is a bantam size Cornish, but they are a purebred and they get to mature weight of 44 oz for males and 36 oz for females. This is live weight. This is according to my McMurray catalog.
Hope this clears up some questions.

Back
Top Bottom