Barbu de watermael I month old chicks from Greenfire. Can you tell the gender yet?

lisa69

Songster
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
Boys or girls?

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 10
They are too young to tell gender with accuracy, but if I had to guess now I would say the one in the 2nd picture is maybe a cockerel and the other a pullet. I'm basing this on coloring alone. The pictures on GFF's website show the coloring to be more or less like a quail D'Anvers, but with more variation and some blue quails thrown in as well. The two breeds are very similar except the Watermaels have little head tassels.

Boys or girls?
Do you have pictures of the combs? I have some homebred Watermaal that are about 3 weeks and I think I'm starting to get an idea on gender since the boys combs turn pink/red much earlier then the girls but they aren't Quail or GFF so I'm not sure if that'll ring true for you.

Do you have pictures of the combs? I have some homebred Watermaal that are about 3 weeks and I think I'm starting to get an idea on gender since the boys combs turn pink/red much earlier then the girls but they aren't Quail or GFF so I'm not sure if that'll ring true for you.
No combs are red at all.

No combs are red at all.
Could be you have all girls but it's too soon to tell, I'd keep an eye on them and watch for any that are starting to darken but I'm not familiar with GFF lines or how they mature so their tells might be different then the line I have.

Back
Top Bottom