bare back and wings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladybird12, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    Some of my hens have lost feathers on their backs just by the top of their wings ! you can see patches of red skin , any idea what could be causing it [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters!
    Mine are still recovering from an over population of roos. Each time the hen gets mounted, she'll loose a feather or two. When you have a lot of roos, this adds up fast. This is why they have chicken saddles.
    Aside from that, moulting causes feather loss.

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a hen who mounts the other hens so I have some with naked backs and necks, she is going to find her way to a new home.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Yup, it's the guys!

5. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    Ahhhhh I did have two cockerals and one had to go [​IMG] so I guess it may take a while for their feathers to grow back [​IMG] thankyou everyone appreciate the advice [​IMG]

6. baustin

baustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Inyokern
    I have nine hens and a rooster. Seven of my hens have all their feathers pulled out to the skin. The other two are fine. If it's the rooster doing it then why aren't the other two hens the same way? Can they be broken from doing this or do I need to get rid of the roo? I've never had this happen before with other hens and roosters I've had so would appreciate feedback on this.

7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Roosters have "favorites". There are also hens who simply won't stand to be mated by a rooster very often. My more submissive hens all had bare backs but the more dominant ones wouldn't let him more than once every now and then.

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you might want to check for feather mites, check around their vents and see if there are clumps there, i've been battling it, and the mite will eat feathers-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by