Bare Back Chickens

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
I am wondering how people handle the bare backs on their chickens? I have two roosters and 37 hens. There are a handful of them that must be favorites as their backs are loosing feathers. If I spray their backs with blue kote will that deter the roosters?

No, the roosters will still breed those hens and wear down their feathers.

I put hen saddles on my popular hens. You can get them at craft shows or on eBay and Etsy. Look for saddles that aren’t red and have a denim or other thick lining fabric. I prefer to get light colored ones so my hens don’t overheat in the summer. There are different sewing patterns, some cover the tail and wings as well as the back. One of my smaller hens ends up with wing damage so she needs the wing covering but the larger hens don’t.

Example hen saddle

I am wondering how people handle the bare backs on their chickens? I have two roosters and 37 hens. There are a handful of them that must be favorites as their backs are loosing feathers. If I spray their backs with blue kote will that deter the roosters?
Blu Kote will not deter a rooster. A hen saddle might be best

Are these hens actually being overbred? have you watched out there to see what's happening?
Some birds have poor feather quality, and become bare backed because of that, and will do better in a flock not having any roosters. Here I've rehomed a couple of hens like that, and everyone is better off. If the hens are actually being overbred compared to the rest, again, consider rehoming instead of saddles.
Mary

It would make sense to check your birds at night while they are roosting, with a flashlight, and treat them with permethrin if any have mites or lice. Otherwise, don't throw anything out there.
Also, what are you feeding? A diet too low in protein will be a problem with feather quality, for example.
Mary

I’m concerned that the hen saddles won’t stay on, get dirty, and might even tangle up a chicken. Are these valid concerns?
It is important to keep an eye out the first few days, to be sure the saddle fits well, as they do come in different sizes. In my experience, the saddle only needed to be adjusted back into place a time or two. When they get dirty, just take them off & wash them. With my girl, her feathers started to regrow pretty quickly; I left the saddle on until the feathers were beyond the pin stage. I got mine here:

https://crazy-k-farm.myshopify.com/...saver-hen-apron-saddle?variant=28600142921806

Back
Top Bottom