Bare Backs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FortPatriot, Apr 7, 2009.

1. FortPatriot

FortPatriot New Egg

May 29, 2008
    Cutler, IN
    Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are 6 six weeks old and they are with 100 other chickens (st run)including Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Shavers, and White Rocks. I noticed about 5 of them (3 Reds, 1 Black Australorps, and 1 shaver (barred cross)) are having this problem.
    My Son noticed one of the white rocks with a feather in it's mouth, but we have not witnessed any pecking.

Is this a diease problem or a pecking problem?

What's the Solution?

Thanks!

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Lloks like you need some saddles,

Could be caused by roosters.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Over crowding and boredom are also a common cause, Many folks have this problem. I have been told that they will grow back after solving the problem.

AL

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Pecking or Roosters, my guess.

5. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    if you have roosters, they rub that part of the lower back with their feet when mating, and that can be the cause of it. That's what I think is causing some bare backs on some of my girls. Although, mine are also losing feathers at the back of their heads also from the roosters grabbing on to the back of the heads while mating, and I don't see that in your photo.
    So far I'm taking a wait and see approach with my girls to see if the feathers will grow back without intervention (that and trying to decrease my number of roosters, I have too many).
    I have heard of putting saddles on the chickens made from duct tape to help protect the area to help the feathers grow back.
    If it were mite or bug related, food grade Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled in the coop and even on the birds will help kill pests.

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    somethings wrong. sometimes overcrowding and or you have a feather plucker. Separate and let the feathers grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by