Bare butt

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
I have 6 Golden Comet hens , now 13 months old. I’ve never seen any serious bullying at least so far. Yesterday I saw a pink spot one the rear of one hen. I’ve attached a photo. There doesn’t appear to have been any bleeding nor have there been any predator attacks. Is this bald spot the result of hen pecking or is it something weird related to feather loss.
As far as food goes they were on 20% protein pellets with oyster shell on the side. But when the shells started to get really thin I went back to 16% Neutrena layer pellets and I give them 4 handfuls of meal worms that I scatter in the run. Any help is appreciated
FF2183E1-E462-4809-BC7F-8E38515237B8.jpeg

I have 6 Golden Comet hens , now 13 months old. I’ve never seen any serious bullying at least so far. Yesterday I saw a pink spot one the rear of one hen. I’ve attached a photo. There doesn’t appear to have been any bleeding nor have there been any predator attacks. Is this bald spot the result of hen pecking or is it something weird related to feather loss.
As far as food goes they were on 20% protein pellets with oyster shell on the side. But when the shells started to get really thin I went back to 16% Neutrena layer pellets and I give them 4 handfuls of meal worms that I scatter in the run. Any help is appreciated View attachment 2653423
A few of my ten RSL, 15 months old, have the exact problem! No other symptoms. I have treated twice with ivermectin and dusted with DE. I don't know what else to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210507-161042_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-161042_Gallery.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
  • VideoCapture_20210507-134347.jpg
    VideoCapture_20210507-134347.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 5
I just noticed that same barred rock has more missing butt feathers like yours. She’s been fairly lethargic the last two days so I’m getting a little worried about her. I treated with poultry dust for mites as a precaution....
One of mine, (the one on the left and in the bottom pic above) has had a bare, sometimes red, sometimes raw and red, butt since early last Fall. And fortunately, she and none of the ones who seem similarly affected have any other symptoms. I am not sure if lethargy is still to come with mine, but if not, it may not be the same or the extent of what affliction yours has. I hope she's ok!

Back
Top Bottom