Bare butt?

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
This happened between 2/26 and 2/27. We have cameras in the coop and run and I did notice some scuffles, but didn’t see mouthfuls of feathers or anything. Could this be mites? I picked her up to look but not really sure what I’m looking for- no obvious bugs or even blood / blood spots and it really isn’t even red it’s just bald. She is the lowest on the pecking order and the youngest / last to start laying (only laid her first egg about two weeks ago).
IMG_6245.jpeg
IMG_6244.jpeg
IMG_6243.jpeg

It looks like someone is picking her feathers. Some even do it while on the roost. If it gets worse, and you can ID the culprit, you can try pinless peepers. But before that I would try to figure out why this is happening. Overcrowding, maybe not enough protein in the diet, too much light in the coop, or not getting outside to roam can be some of the possibilities.

How big is your coop for how many birds? What's their diet?
IMG_6247.jpeg
Their diet is a golden granola mix from the feed store- it’s got 16% protein. We have added oyster shell when we noticed eggs getting wonky, but not every day. I do notice her and another in the group eating fallen duck feathers so I have suspected that they aren’t getting enough calcium, but didn’t think that’d lead to them eating feathers off of each other…. I have 5 birds in this TSC coop- they also have a large run encasing it, 10’ x 10’ plus supervised free range time.

Attachments

• IMG_6246.jpeg
    IMG_6246.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Their diet is a golden granola mix from the feed store- it’s got 16% protein. We have added oyster shell when we noticed eggs getting wonky, but not every day. I do notice her and another in the group eating fallen duck feathers so I have suspected that they aren’t getting enough calcium, but didn’t think that’d lead to them eating feathers off of each other…. I have 5 birds in this TSC coop- they also have a large run encasing it, 10’ x 10’ plus supervised free range time.
They need more protein. That feed looks more like a high quality scratch.
Can you get chick starter or a higher protein layer?

They need more protein. That feed looks more like a high quality scratch.
Can you get chick starter or a higher protein layer?
I actually still have half a bag of the chick starter they were on before we started giving this when they matured. I will add that in and then switch them to a layer feed. To note- they have been going hard at the duck food too (they share a run) I wonder if that’s why. Now I feel bad.

Back
Top Bottom