Bare Butted Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunsetChicks, Aug 23, 2019.

1. SunsetChicks

SunsetChicks Chirping

Aug 1, 2008
    Hello,
    I have two California hens that look like this, with large feather-less areas around their butts. They appear to be acting normally, and I don't see any pests on them. At first, I thought it was molting, but it's been several weeks now. This flock is 9-months old. Never seen this before. Any ideas?

hens.JPG

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    How many pullets do you have?
    What exactly are you feeding them?
    How large is your run?

Sequel likes this.
  3. SunsetChicks

SunsetChicks Chirping

Aug 1, 2008
    9 girls in an enclosed run (maybe 10x15') + coop. They have plenty of space to walk around and and roost on tree. I feed them commercial layer pellets + non-meat scraps from the kitchen.

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I would up the protein content of their feed by putting them on something like Flock Raiser, All Flock or chick starter with a container of oyster shell on the side.
    I couldn't hurt to dust them the permethrin poultry dust either, just to be sure they don't have lice or mites.

5. SunsetChicks

SunsetChicks Chirping

Aug 1, 2008
    I will try that. Here is a closer picture. She has lost virtually all feathers on her body, with just wings, head and tail remaining. It is worrisome, and I still don't see any pests.. hens.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: