bare chicken butts?

nfwc1964

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Danville, NH
Last yr we bought chicken saddles because hens we pecking at each other & the pin feathers - worked good.

This yr it seems their downy butts are the attraction. Any suggestions on how to protect the butt or what can be done? We feed omega 3 chicken feed, mixed birdseed for scratching in pen yard and at night they get mealy worms as a treat.

Just would like the down feathers to grow in before the cold weather gets here in November.

Didn't get thru all those posts, but did get some ideas: dolomite and hooking up a bug zapper inside the chicken's run.
thanks for the link :)

Didn't get thru all those posts, but did get some ideas: dolomite and hooking up a bug zapper inside the chicken's run.
thanks for the link :)
Yes, there are quite a number…wish I had taken notes when I read them….

If you don't already do it, add a flock block…

I get Purina FlockBlock - tractor supply has them, and some feed and seed stores also have them. They are large cubes with seeds, corn, and goodies they chickens want, but they have to peck and peck to get them. It keeps them busy doing what they love.

Our girls are going thru a soft molt and I was so excited to see new butt feathers coming back in until the feather picker got back to picking. It hit me that we had been keeping a flock block in the run, but had not replaced the last one. My chickens don't like corn, believe it or not, but I'm the one who has to clean all that up under and around the block, so stupidly didn't replace it. Then my DH decided they needed some more entertainment and replaced it….and the butt feather picker stopped picking. Cannot tell you that's the answer, because just a few days later she went broody again. But it is worth a try.

Expect the usual chicken scared of anything new if you do get the block. But once one is brave enough to check it out, they all will.

Back
Top Bottom