Bare Chickens in Winter! Thoughts on Sweaters?

I once made some hen saddles for some bare backs in my hens first year due to overmating by the young rooster. I took a 7 inch by 9 inch piece of polarfleece, cut two slits just long enough to get the wings through, but not too loose. Once they were on, I trimmed the bottom to fit the hens. Here is a picture of a similar no sew one in this link:

http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

I wonder how I could do it to cover their fronts! Their backs still have feathers, it's the necks and chests that are bare!

Here are some photos of one of my girls. She’s the worst looking one of the bunch.

Attachments

• 6B02ABFF-99CA-4877-B286-D1CEF916E0C7.jpeg
    6B02ABFF-99CA-4877-B286-D1CEF916E0C7.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 23
  • B43502E3-0AF6-4DEF-A54A-DE855862BF7E.jpeg
    B43502E3-0AF6-4DEF-A54A-DE855862BF7E.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 22
  • AAB475DF-C87C-4780-8249-74BAA8AF434C.jpeg
    AAB475DF-C87C-4780-8249-74BAA8AF434C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
They may be getting too much of the treats and not enough pellets. If they're getting one cup of scratch (which has little nutritional value) plus one cup of assorted other treats, they're not going to be eating much of the pellets. Do you know how long it takes you to go through a 40 or 50 lb bag of layer pellets?

Usually takes 5-6 weeks for the 3 girls. They seem to be eating okay... I think? Should I dial back the scratch and treats?

I agree that there is too much scratch and other non-feed things. The feed has balanced nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, and that should be 90% of their total intake. I would cut way back on the scratch, and only do a treat now and then.

Last edited:
What type of feed? How much protein?
Maybe cut the treats out unless some boiled egg or other whole protein.

Oh also, do any of the chickens in your flock look good? Just wondering if you have 1 picker?

I deffinately think now, after seeing the pictures that you are right about it being lice or mites.
O googled lice and mites on chickens and saw some similar feather damage like your pictures show.
As far as a remedys there are several, some of which you have probably tried.
First i wonder if you have a dust bath for your chickens? Dust bathing is a chickens natural defence gainst lice and mites. Some people like diacamatious earth others say it has no effect. I personally would set up a dry protected spot, i would use an old tire and mix fine sand with some of my wood ashes and see if they use it. You could even give them a bath in it by hand. The idea is to smother the bugs.
you have to not only treat the chickens but the entire coop also. All the wood and espically the perches. Some bugs hide in the wood grain and feed on the chickens at night while they are sleeping Some install only non wood perches for this reason. There are chemical sprays also orange oil is helpful to some.
It would be really helpfull if you could get right up close to your chickens skin with some magifying glasses and figure out exactly what kind of bug we are dealing with here. Sometimes they hide around the vent area.
If you could get a magnified picture of that and post it here, that would be great.
Also take some white paper towel and wipe it on the underside of the roosts and see what you find if anything.?
This has really got me curious.
Good luck and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom