Bare Necked Chickens?

mommacb

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Texas, USA
I have two chickens with bare necks, suppose they are starting to molt or that this is agression from other chickens? Is there any way to keep chickens from kicking one other hen out of the flock or is this just part of it?

can you post a picture of them? what does the neck look like? if it is just regular red looking chicken skin ( about the same kind as thier comb and waddles ) they are probably the breed - naked necks. does it have little stubs all around it? this could mean molting. Does it look un even or some parts are black like dried blood? this could mean aggression . please tell me what it looks like

We are new to backyard chickens and had the same problem. It was really bad for three of them. We separated them out and coated their necks with something called "Blue Cote". That may not be the exact spelling. We bought it at Tractor Supply. It is blue and STAINS.

We kept them separated for about a week and kept re-applying the medicine. When they were back to health, we gave them a really good coating and put them in the coop at night. It worked. They were never bothered again. I read on here somewhere that the other chickens will not peck at them with this on their necks. Something about the color and smell.

too bad chickens can't have an elizabethan collar like they put around dog necks to keep them from bothering a wound.

Back
Top Bottom