Bare run???

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
For all of you out there that have a coop and run that is not movable I have a major question. When i first got chickens the run was full of bright green grass. Now, it's been a couple of months and it's completly bare. Not one blade of grass. I know that it is winter but it was like this before winter really started. My question is does anyone else have this problem or has had? Do you section of some of the run and wait till it grows back before you let the chickens in that area? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you SO much.

Chickens destroy the grass where they are confined. My run is bare as well. I throw straw done to keep it from getting too muddy. I will seed it and keep them out this spring....just so they can go scratch it bare again..lol. I range them within the big fence during the day, but even at that, their private yard is still bare. It's what chickens do, so it's fine with me
big_smile.png

I got no grass. I just added a load of sand. They like that. I do let them out in the yard on sunny days. Hasn't been sunny lately. Just really cold. So they have been in the coop and run. But summer time.....I just let them in the yard. We'll see next year come fall if I still have a yard of grass left.
hmm.png

Yah. I figured out the straw thing right quick when I was nearly busting my tail out there slipping in the mud. I also thought my chickens would like it more. And was I right. they get soo excited scratching that stuff around. Anyway, I can't let my chickens out of their run. I have outdoor cats and dogs that ocassionaly come through the yard. What do you suggest? Or is it necessary at all? I throw clipped grass in there sometimes and am thinking about asking a local grocery to sell me all their extras or the ones they're planning on chunking. What do ya'll think?

I buy alfalfa cubes for my goats, and take some of them and soak them in water for the chickens. I also give them good quality hay in the runs for the ones that are confined to runs. My little farm also has a section divided off for chicken pasture -- to keep the goats out of the coops -- and they've about done in all the growth there, with all the extra rain we had...There, I throw down "patches" of hay. Some little groups spend hours scratching around in it, others prefer the hay to be inside their coops. Then, there's the group that prefers to be OUTSIDE the pasture...only the "real thing" when it comes to grass and leaves will do for them. Oh, I also get the chopped timothy and alfalfa mixed for the chickens and rabbits -- they seem to like that without soaking.

When my grandma raised chickens she never let them out either. She tossed greens and stuff over the fence so they got fresh stuff on occasion, and tossed grass clippings, cooked potato peels etc. just for their little birdy pleasures, they loved it!! I wouldn't worry too much. My birds love cooked rice while it's still warm...I just toss it out of the pan into their yard, and they go nuts for it!

Pick up a few bales of straw. We just were able to get unprocessed oats hay, so the oat heads are still in the straw. Perfect for them! When they go through a bale, I'll put that in the walkways of my raised bed garden to keep down grass and weeds. Two uses for a whopping $3 a bale.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom