Bare Spot on Hen's back!

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
On of my hens suddenly has a bare spot on her back. She did lose some of her saddle feathers from a rough rooster a few months ago (and hasn't grown them back yet), who is out of the flock now. I checked her for mites/lice just the other day, and didn't see anything. What could this be?

IMG_4285.jpg

Looks like damage from mounting. Are you sure the hen that was mounting her is a... hen and not a sneaky rooster?

On of my hens suddenly has a bare spot on her back. She did lose some of her saddle feathers from a rough rooster a few months ago (and hasn't grown them back yet), who is out of the flock now. I checked her for mites/lice just the other day, and didn't see anything. What could this be?
My salmon faverolle, Tootie, had a bald back for months…I assumed it was from my 2 roosters. It was summer and her skin would get red from the sun and raw from the rooster scratches so I sewed her a little jacket. I think I applied some chicken balm a few times to soothe the skin. It took a few months to grow back in but it finally did.

The first pic is from when it was the worst - that’s when I made the jacket (2nd pic). I made it with very soft, elastic material and she didn’t even notice it was on. The 3rd pic is when the feathers finally started growing back in. Now some of my girls have bald little heads - I guess they are the rooster’s “favorites”🤨. I would just watch out for too much sun exposure - even on overcast days.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.png
    IMG_0807.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0806.png
    IMG_0806.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0805.png
    IMG_0805.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Looks like damage from mounting. Are you sure the hen that was mounting her is a... hen and not a sneaky rooster?
I did consider that for a second, but she's definitely a hen (has been laying eggs for the past few months)😅

My salmon faverolle, Tootie, had a bald back for months…I assumed it was from my 2 roosters. It was summer and her skin would get red from the sun and raw from the rooster scratches so I sewed her a little jacket. I think I applied some chicken balm a few times to soothe the skin. It took a few months to grow back in but it finally did.

The first pic is from when it was the worst - that’s when I made the jacket (2nd pic). I made it with very soft, elastic material and she didn’t even notice it was on. The 3rd pic is when the feathers finally started growing back in. Now some of my girls have bald little heads - I guess they are the rooster’s “favorites”🤨. I would just watch out for too much sun exposure - even on overcast days.
Thank you for sharing this! I will keep that in mind:)

Back
Top Bottom