Bare spot on keel bone

MyPetNugget

Enjoying the cold!!!
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Enjoying New Year so far!!!
I was holding my favorite chicken, Nugget, and then I noticed that she has a bare spot under her. Not on her crop though, like more in the middle of her keel bone. Is she molting? Or could it have to do with pecking order?

If she is adult and has been in lay she maybe getting broody. If correct the skin has become very stretchy resulting in a bare brood patch being exposed. If like mine no actual featherloss is involved.

Last edited:
I was holding my favorite chicken, Nugget, and then I noticed that she has a bare spot under her. Not on her crop though, like more in the middle of her keel bone. Is she molting? Or could it have to do with pecking order?

So long as there's no inflammation or swelling on the bare area, I wouldn't worry. Some hens will pull some feathers when on the nest. Just broody behavior. Pad your nests well with pine shavings. Heavier breed hens can sometimes lose feathers along the breast bone from rubbing on the roost too.

Thanks for the quick answers! She is a barred rock and has been laying for about 3 months now. So she might be going broody!?! I have never had a broody before and I have REALLY been wanting one!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
We have 16 chickens (see signature) and she is 1 out of 4 barred rocks.
Edit to add: She has no inflamation or swelling.

Last edited:
Does she appear to be missing most of day? She will also walk about making a clucking noise once she becomes broody. I have about half dozen hens that should go broody in the next few days. The last couple days of egg laying those hens will begin to associate less with other members of flock, even rooster.

You will want to know nest location. Sometimes it pays to protect it somehow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom