Bare spots/ feather plucking?

Protein is a possible issue more than calcium. OP, check what the percentage of protein is in your feed, and minimize extra treats if you feed any. It may help to bump protein up to 18-20% if it's lower than that.
Thank you for the reply. I’ve fed them Grubbly Farms layer feed which has 16% protein. I give them black soldier fly grubs for treats 3 or 4 times a week. I understand those are high in protein, so giving them those will perhaps up their protein intake?
(I ordered a few saddles to put on the few with the bare spots.)

Thank you for the reply. I’ve fed them Grubbly Farms layer feed which has 16% protein. I give them black soldier fly grubs for treats 3 or 4 times a week. I understand those are high in protein, so giving them those will perhaps up their protein intake?
(I ordered a few saddles to put on the few with the bare spots.)
They're also high in fat so you don't want to overdo those. A little canned fish in water might be a better choice. Or does the feed you use come in a chick or grower formulation with a higher protein %? That'd be the easiest option.

I don't have experience with using saddles to stop picking. I think in some cases it can help, other times the bird gets picked on for looking different. Probably doesn't hurt to try.

I think you might have a picker. That's a pretty common area to find bare spots if feather picking is going on. I'd keep an eye on the behavior of any birds that don't have damage, as they're more likely to be the guilty party.
So I’ve been observing, and one of the Wyandottes is the culprit. She also is the one who pinches the heck out of hand when I give them treats. 😬

They're also high in fat so you don't want to overdo those. A little canned fish in water might be a better choice. Or does the feed you use come in a chick or grower formulation with a higher protein %? That'd be the easiest option.

I don't have experience with using saddles to stop picking. I think in some cases it can help, other times the bird gets picked on for looking different. Probably doesn't hurt to try.
I can easily give them the chick food. It’s 19% protein. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I have this same issue with one of my Americanas - she is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. I find her feathers in the run and some in the coop. She roosts in the rafters so she's not getting pick on at night but I find them in the run for sure. At first it was just around the tail, but now her neck looks bare on the back. I do have a rooster and while I've seen him go for her, I don't think she's getting the brunt of his affections, there are 7 other hens. I was wondering if it's a molt and just her?? Or maybe molt and picked on? I have seen hens go for her when I scatter scratch and always try to get her some off to the side. I don't see any mites and no other chickens seem affected. She otherwise is spry and flighty (as is normal) and forages with the flock. They are getting layer feed and I put some higher protein maintenance feed out too. Of note possibly is that both of that breed have not laid eggs in a few weeks - the rest of the hens are sex links and have been laying continuously. This is our first winter, pullets acquired in April 2023. Any ideas?

I have this same issue with one of my Americanas - she is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. I find her feathers in the run and some in the coop. She roosts in the rafters so she's not getting pick on at night but I find them in the run for sure. At first it was just around the tail, but now her neck looks bare on the back. I do have a rooster and while I've seen him go for her, I don't think she's getting the brunt of his affections, there are 7 other hens. I was wondering if it's a molt and just her?? Or maybe molt and picked on?
Photos would help. Or if you can grab her, part the feathers around the bare areas and look for pin feathers coming in. A bunch of pin feathers = molt, bare but no pin feathers, they're being yanked out.

Ok here are some pictures - I named them for reference but you can see a few angles plus a picture of one of the hybrids (looks great) and the other Americana (I know it's spelled differently but I'm tired of fighting autocorrect) - she seems normal although also not laying any blue eggs right now.

Attachments

• Dorothy comparison.jpeg
    Dorothy comparison.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Bea back.jpeg
    Bea back.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Bea by rooster.jpeg
    Bea by rooster.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Bea front.jpeg
    Bea front.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Bea neck.jpeg
    Bea neck.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Bea side 2.jpeg
    Bea side 2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • Bea side.jpeg
    Bea side.jpeg
    935.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Bea tail.jpeg
    Bea tail.jpeg
    759 KB · Views: 6
  • Black sex link comparison.jpeg
    Black sex link comparison.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Ok here are some pictures - I named them for reference but you can see a few angles plus a picture of one of the hybrids (looks great) and the other Americana (I know it's spelled differently but I'm tired of fighting autocorrect) - she seems normal although also not laying any blue eggs right now.
I see a ton of pin feathers in the photo marked "neck" so it looks to be a molt and she should be feathered back in in a few weeks. Also normal for a molting bird to not lay, as their energy is going to feather growth.

I have this same issue with one of my Americanas - she is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. I find her feathers in the run and some in the coop. She roosts in the rafters so she's not getting pick on at night but I find them in the run for sure. At first it was just around the tail, but now her neck looks bare on the back. I do have a rooster and while I've seen him go for her, I don't think she's getting the brunt of his affections, there are 7 other hens. I was wondering if it's a molt and just her?? Or maybe molt and picked on? I have seen hens go for her when I scatter scratch and always try to get her some off to the side. I don't see any mites and no other chickens seem affected. She otherwise is spry and flighty (as is normal) and forages with the flock. They are getting layer feed and I put some higher protein maintenance feed out too. Of note possibly is that both of that breed have not laid eggs in a few weeks - the rest of the hens are sex links and have been laying continuously. This is our first winter, pullets acquired in April 2023. Any ideas?
It sounds like the exact thing I’m experiencing except the feather plucking hasn’t gotten to the neck, and the laying has remained consistent. I figured out who in the flock is doing the picking. Now what to do….

I see a ton of pin feathers in the photo marked "neck" so it looks to be a molt and she should be feathered back in in a few weeks. Also normal for a molting bird to not lay, as their energy is going to feather growth.
That's what I was hoping for but wasn't sure what to look for; she's so ratty looking and the only one in a molt. Thank you for taking a look!

Back
Top Bottom