Bare spots on backs

Geckochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
I am not putting this in injuries/etc... because I am not sure it is.

Two of my 26 hens have bare spots on their backs. One is small and seems completely bare. The other is a bit bigger, but seems as though the fluff of the feathers is just worn off. It's not bare, but the feathers are not right there. They are acting fine, the spots are not bloody, no signs of any parasite, egg production is super (most days we get 26/26). I have one rooster, and I feel he might be more amorous with these two ladies than the other girls. Is this possible? Is this causing this issue or am I missing something? The other girls do not seem to to be bothered by these spots -- they are not pecking at them or bothering them in any way.

Last edited:
Your rooster REALLY likes those two hens.
wink.png

That's what some folks use Hen Savers or chicken shawls for. It protects the hussies' backs from further feather injury.

The hussies....
lau.gif

Do I need to protect them in some way? Will he damage them beyond this? He doesn't even really have spurs yet...

You can buy or make saddles.

I made 2 for some birds I got that had that problem. I made them out of placemats from the Dollar tree. LOL Worked great. There are free patterns online. You can also buy them. There are members here that sell them in the Everything Else For Sale section.

they will get worse...till they are completely bare backed...it is horrible looking...and can't feel good.
You can put saddles on their backs, or, better yet, isolate them from the roos, in a pen, till the feathers return.

Back
Top Bottom