Barn Cats?

buyabed1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Hi! I just moved to the country and we are building our pen to be first-time chicken owners. I have a German shepherd and two barn cats. Should I start with pullets as opposed to chicks to get my animals used to them? I'm pretty sure my dog will be fine either way as we have a small indoor bird who walks on the floor at times. More worried about the cats. I would rather start with chicks. The chicken yard is fairly large with a 6' fence around it.

In my experience it doesn't matter. Our cat is afraid of birds that have feathers, but anything with only chick down is fair game. It doesn't matter that we've been doing this as long as he's been around - that hasn't changed. So, I have to protect chicks from him until they're feathered out, and after that they can run loose all day long and he won't go near them.

I have 2 barn cats and they don't bother with the grown birds. They will walk amongst the flock when they are ranging and I've never had an issue. I haven't put them around chicks though. I would be afraid they may see a chick like a small bird that they routinely catch and kill.

Back
Top Bottom